CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 19, 2008

Good Samaritans Still Exist

I have to tell you that there are still good people out there. After a long night of drinking and having a good time at Mayfest for my boyfriend's birthday, we got in the car and headed back across town to go home. I'm driving along the highway and suddenly my car starts pulling really hard. I start screaming, "Oh my God! Oh my God! I'm having a blowout! Oh my God."
Kevin, my boyfriend who is always pretty calm, "Are you sure?"
"Yes I'm sure! What do I do? Oh my God what do I do? Kevin!! There's nowhere to pull over!" I'm basically panicked now.
It happened at one of the worst spots. I was switching highways, so it was a long skinny road. I end up pulling over and we get out and start attempting to change the tire, but can not get the car to jack up. At this point I'm so scared I'm going to get a DUI if a cop decides to pull in behind to help us. I felt okay, but if I had to take a breathalyzer probably wouldn't have passed. I'm basically taking it out on Kevin at this point, "Kevin do you want me to get a DUI?" My boyfriend is not mechanically inclined, bless his little heart, but I have to admit I do get frustrated about it. I can't help it. I have three brothers and was raised by a very manly dad, I was taught men fix stuff.
"No baby, of course not," he replies.
"Well then get this thing jacked up," I say irritably.
We are on the verge of a fight and some guy in his early twenties pulls in behind us and says, "Need some help?"
"Oh thank you, yes!" I'm so happy someone has come to rescue us and stop my from choking my poor unsuspecting boyfriend. He gets the thing done in about five minutes. The whole time I am freaking out because there are cockroaches the size of small mice crawling all over the sidewalk and I am terrified. I tell him about three times, "You are a God send!"
"Oh, I wouldn't go that far," he says.
I just want to tell anyone who still does nice things for people, like opening the door for someone when their hands are full, letting someone go first in the grocery line when they don't have much and you do, picking something up for someone when they drop it, giving someone a ride when they run out of gas - YOU ARE AMAZING! I had to rescue some of my drunk friends on Cinco De Mayo and I was happy to do it. They were stranded for a few hours before they called me. We had them back on the road within thirty minutes. It felt good to know I was helping my friends and they felt like they could depend on me. I didn't do it expecting anything in return. I'm convinced Karma really does exist. So next time you see someone in a jam, just remember, next time that could be you!

2 comments:

Tasha said...

I totally agree. But you said "I was taught men fix stuff". Hahahaha! Matt...fix stuff? Um, are you sure we are tlaking about the same family here? Did I ever tell you how Matt locked himself in Jack's room once because he took off the doorknob and then couldn't figure out how to put it back on? HA! I heard him up there yelling for me, I go up and just see his little finger sticking though the hole where the doorknob used to be and he was saying "help me! I can get out!". I was laughing so hard. He's getting better though, bless his heart.

Hey, that's a blog right there! LOL

Matt also told me that your dad used to tell him "he'd better make a lot of money when he grew up since he (Matt) didn't want to learn 'man' stuff"- like how to change a tire. :)

I've alwasy thought of you as a woman like me- can run with/play with/beat up the boys.

floridamamma said...

i am glad to see there is wonderful, thoughtful, and all-around nice people in the world too. Do you know a similar thing happened to me and my husband. Our car actually totally died on the side of the highway and a nice gentleman in a big truck stopped and asked us if we needed any help. We did not have a cell phone and were 30 minutes away from home. This angel, a Coast Guard on his way to work and was headed in the same direction where we lived, had asked if we could use a ride home. Of course we hopped in and i only had $10 on me and he wouldnt even accept it. As we arrived at home i coulnt tell him thank you enough. Once we got inside i relaized i left my wallet in his truck. Do you know that he stopped back by that night after he got off work to give me my wallet back.. He was such a unbeliveable sweet guy. The sad part of it is that 2 months before he had a tumor in his head that was removed. He said luckily it was not cancerous. To this day i always think of this young man, must of been about 25, and thank my lucky stars that he gave a helping hand when i was in need. I since then helped out someone to "pay it forward"! A young mother and her daghter was in a gas station and was saying they had to get to a grocery store which is a mile away in the hot sweltering sun, summertime, and had this lil girl about 4 yrs old. I felt so sorry for the lil girl because she was getting on her moms back for a long walk to this grocery store. My heart went out to them and i stopped on the side of the road, stopped traffic, and asked for them to hop in. She was so thankful and that alone made me feel like a "Good Samaritan"!