CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Vacation Days

(My aunt's painting of the Canada Bay)
Yippee! It's that time of year when I get to take a vacation. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to really do anything amazing, so I have decided to spend my days at home. By the time my vacation is over I expect that my home will be spotless and I will most likely be refreshed, but also bored out of my mind. I require much entertainment. To start my week off I spent two days at Oktoberfest which was a lot of fun. Today I spent my day getting some exercise, but also working on a puzzle which I have not done for years, but I used to do them all the time when I spent my summers in Canada as a little girl. I remember my Great Grandma would sit in the cabin and eat freshly grown tomatoes sprinkled with salt. We would talk about how wonderful the tomatoes tasted, but when we started working on the puzzle, we wouldn't speak much. Instead, we would watch as the boats would come in and out of the calm bay to do some bass fishing, or as the beautifully colored Hummingbirds would sip from the red colored sugar water she had made. If I was lucky that day we would get to go blueberry picking and I would find a soft moss bed to lie down in and feel the coolness of the moss against my back. It's my vacation. Since the cabin is such a distant memory, I want to remember what a real vacation feels like. No phones, minimal TV just my Great Grandma, my puzzle and me.

2 comments:

floridamamma said...

You must read alot of books... because your blogs are sooo descriptive and sounds like an author wrote it.. Arent grandmothers the best.. I miss mine.. The tomatoes thing really tore a string in my heart.. that is what me and my grandmother use to snack on - even with the salt.. Reminiscing is the a joyful thing to do.. remembering childhood days come back so clear and makes you remember how easy life was back in the day... no worries just relaxing fun!! I am glad you are getting house cleaning done.. that will make you feel like you accomplished something over your vacation time.. go rent all your favorite movies at blockbuster, 80's and all... enjoy!

Tasha said...

Sounds lovely! I have heard many, many stories about your trips to Canada. Hopefully someday, we as a family can start our own memories there, eh? Miss you!